I’m honored and excited to bring you this Episode #36, the first of Season Three of the Mother’s Quest Podcast.
If you had a chance to tune into the bonus episode I released last week, “Sprouting Seeds for Mother’s Quest,” you know that today’s episode marks what feels like a new chapter with the podcast and with what I call my E.P.I.C. Life.
Through that episode, I reflected on the growth that’s happened in my life over the last year and also the places where I want to focus or deepen new learning.
One area where I want to grow is in conquering limiting beliefs, fear of failure, and over-analysis and instead step forward with more freedom, authenticity and in a place of flow.
I couldn’t ask for a better guide to kick-off the season with this mindset and to lead the way for all of us than Karly Nimmo. Karly is a No. 1 iTunes podcaster, with her two hit shows; Karlosophies and Keeping Good Company which she launched with her best friend Lisa Corduff. She’s a serial entrepreneur, mad creator, born communicator and killer storyteller with a knack for getting you to look at life from a different perspective.
After finding herself hooked up to an ECG having a suspected heart attack, Karly took a good hard look at what was really important to her. And found it wasn’t all the trimmings. It was really quite simple. She wanted to slow down. Spend time with family and friends. Do work that she really cares about. On the work front, she started to let things go. One by one. Until two things were left: Speak. Write. And, that’s what you’ll find her doing today.
Another woman who powerfully speaks and writes, and whose episode on Karly’s new podcast supported me in moving through some recent fear of speaking out myself, is Samantha Nolan-Smith. I knew I needed a special person to dedicate Karly’s episode, I’m so grateful that Samantha said yes, and was deeply moved by her dedication to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mothers of Australia, and her words about the truth-telling she’s experienced from Karly.
In this episode, Karly and I talk about the ways that she has come through for me, helping me find my own truths, first when I was moving through uncertainty in the launch of the podcast, and later when I learned I hadn’t pressed record on an interview with Karly and Podcast Hall of Famer Elsie Escober. The resulting lesson from Karly on letting go, quantum physics, and neural pathways thankfully was recorded (and you can download it if you’d like to listen) and it made that mistake priceless in what it helped me learn.
Karly shares about her own E.P.I.C. life, how she got to where she is now, living in a state of authenticity doing what feels like her true purpose. And, she gives us two powerful challenges: the first to identify foundational commitments we can make to ourselves each day, and the second to explore how to go after doing our “best work” from a place of flow. I hope you leave this conversation, inspired as I did, to trust yourself and the mistakes that happen in your life, to bring you closer to the fullest expression of who you are and your authentic purpose.
This episode dedicated by:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- How my big mistake on an interview with Karly and Elsie Escobar allowed me to reroute my neural pathways with Karly’s guidance
- The perspective shift that happens when we believe things happen for a reason, even if it doesn’t make sense at the time, and the idea that “nothing that is for you will go by you”
- Karly Nimmo’s nurturing mother, and the impact her mother had, catering to Karly’s father, on Karly’s determination to do differently
- The struggle of not fulfilling the life you imagined – and how to pick yourself up from failure
- Being vulnerable and revealing a full spectrum of emotions
- Honoring yourself, how important it is to prioritize yourself, and the idea of five foundational commitments
- Karly’s belief that our purpose is “being you” and her challenge to us to do our “best work” as the fullest expression of who we are
This Week’s Challenge:
Karly gives us a two-fold challenge:
- Identify and experiment with incorporating 5 Foundational Commitments to Yourself – these can be simple things, like making your bed, or having a daily cup of tea, that make you feel good each day.
- Reflect on this question…“Are you doing your best work?” If the answer is yes, go ahead and celebrate your achievement. If not, do some self-exploration and find where you can express your fullest potential and go “all in.”
Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Check out Karly’s deeply personal podcast and her free-flowing conversations on: Karlosophies
- Keeping Good Company – Karly’s podcast with her best friend, Lisa Corduff
- You may follow Karly Nimmo in Facebook and Instagram
- She Podcasts, Ellie Escobar’s Podcast
- Ep 25: Change the Conversation: Podcasting as a Tool for Transformation with Elsie Escobar, the podcast episode that was possible because of the “mistake” I made that became a blessing
- Ep 115: Finally I’m Almost An Overnight Success from Karlosophies
- Bonus Audio: Original Conversation on Mistakes, Trust, and Neural Pathways
- EP 9: Samantha Nolan-Smith – Being Truly Visible from the Keeping Good Company Podcast
- Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
Virtual Mother’s Quest Circle Pilot
I’m excited to announce that the first founding Mother’s Quest Virtual Circle has been filled. If you’re interested in a future circle, and want to receive notice when the applications open again, please email your request to be added to the waitlist to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mother’s Quest E.P.I.C. Life Check-In
Would love to have you in our weekly E.P.I.C. Life Check-In on Tuesday, from 12N-1PM pm via Video on Zoom
We’ll create connections within the Mother’s Quest community, reflect on how we feel along the E.P.I.C. Guideposts, and set an intention for the week.
Time for personal introspection, group accountability and community-building all packed into one hour. Are you In? Join the Facebook Group for invitations and access to the Zoom Link www.mothersquest.com/community
Help us Grow the Mother’s Quest Community
If you’re finding value from the Mother’s Quest Podcast and would like to get more involved, please join us in the Mother’s Quest Facebook Group, help us find more like-minded mothers on a quest by spreading the word and sharing your favorite episodes, and make a donation or apply to dedicate an episode. You can also share your story on the Mother’s Quest Blog.
A big THANK YOU to our “patrons” for helping to bring these conversations to myself and other mothers through financial and/or in-kind support:
- Samantha Nolan-Smith
- Jody Smith
- Emily Cretella of MotherHustle
- Collette Flanagan, founder of Mothers Against Police Brutality
- Titilayo Tinubu Ali of Own Your Expertise
- Carly Magnus Hurt
- Lizzy Russinko of This (Un)Scripted Life
- Suzanne Brown, author of Mompowerment
- Mara Berns Langer
- Mallory Schlabach of Marketing Magic for Entrepreneurs
- Katharine Earhart of Alesco Advisors
- Jessica Kupferman of She Podcasts
- Resistance Artist Jen Jenkins Dohner
- Genese Harris
- Tonya Rineer, founder of The Profit Party
- Liane Louie-Badua
- Cristin Downs of the Notable Woman Podcast
- Erin Kendall of Fit Mom Go
- Niko Osoteo of Bear Beat Productions
- Erik Newton of The Together Show
- Claire Fry
- Divya Silbermann
- Rachel Winter
- Caren and Debbie Lieberman
- Cameron Miranda
- Fran and David Lieberman
- Debbie and Alan Goore
- Jenise and Marianne of the Sustainable Living Podcast
Support the Podcast
If you’d like to make a contribution to Mother’s Quest to support Season Three of the Podcast and/or help provide coaching scholarships for mothers, follow this link to make a contribution.
If you would like to “dedicate” an upcoming episode to a special mother in your life, email me at email@example.com
Mother’s Quest is a podcast for moms who are ready to live a truly E.P.I.C. life.
Join in for intimate conversations with a diverse group of inspiring mothers as they share how they are living an E.P.I.C. life, Engaging mindfully with their children (E), Passionately and Purposefully making a difference beyond their family (P), Investing in themselves (I), and Connecting to a strong support network (C).
Join our community of mothers to light the way and sustain you on your quest at https://www.facebook.com/groups/mothersquest/